The CAHPS® Databases
The CAHPS Databases are AHRQ’s repositories for data from selected CAHPS surveys of patient experience with care. The primary purpose of the CAHPS Databases is to facilitate comparisons of CAHPS survey results by and among survey users. The CAHPS program administers databases for three CAHPS Surveys: the CAHPS Health Plan Survey, the CAHPS Child Hospital Survey, and the CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services Survey.
Benefits of Participating in the CAHPS Databases
Participation in the CAHPS Databases is free and open to survey users that administer surveys according to CAHPS specifications. Users of the CAHPS Health Plan Survey, the CAHPS Child Hospital Survey, and the CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services Survey who voluntarily submit their data to the CAHPS Databases:
- Receive a Private Feedback Report in Excel that displays their own CAHPS survey results in addition to the results from the Database, including case-mix adjusted tests of statistical differences for each composite and question.
- Contribute to a research dataset that is used to answer important questions related to assessing and improving the patient experience.
How You Can Submit Your CAHPS Data to the CAHPS Databases
The CAHPS Database Online Submission System opens once a year to collect data. Organizations interested in submitting data to a CAHPS Database are asked to complete three easy steps:
- Sign and return a Data Use Agreement (DUA) to the CAHPS Databases.
- Submit a copy of the CAHPS questionnaire used for data collection.
- Submit data according to required specifications.
To support the use of CAHPS survey results, the CAHPS Database offers several products and services:
- Annual Chartbooks that present summary-level results for the CAHPS Health Plan and CAHPS Clinician & Group Surveys.
- The AHRQ Data Tools site allows users to view, print, and download results from the CAHPS Health Plan and CAHPS Clinician & Group Surveys.
- Private Feedback Reports provided to participating organizations that submit data to the CAHPS Database, comparing their own results to the overall Database averages.
- Research datasets of de-identified data files that can help answer important health services research questions related to patient experience of care as measured by CAHPS surveys
Health Plan Survey Database
The Health Plan Survey component has served as the core of the CAHPS Database since its inception in 1998. Since that time, hundreds of health plans, purchaser groups, State agencies, and others have participated in this component by submitting yearly results from the CAHPS Health Plan Survey.
Child Hospital Survey Database
The CAHPS Child Hospital Survey (Child HCAHPS) Database will begin in the spring of 2022. It will be a repository for survey results submitted by hospitals that collect Child Hospital Survey data. Database participation is free and open to all Child HCAHPS Survey users on a voluntary basis.
Home and Community Based Services Survey Database
The CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services Survey (HCBS CAHPS) Database began in 2020. It is a repository for data from the HCBS CAHPS survey, which assesses the experiences of adult Medicaid beneficiaries who receive long-term services and supports from State HCBS programs.
Clinician & Group Survey Database
The CAHPS Clinician & Group Survey (CG-CAHPS) Database contains 11 years of data from surveys submitted by various sponsors, including practice sites, medical groups, and regional health collaboratives. In 2021, AHRQ suspended new data submissions due to an anticipated decline in participation. AHRQ will continue to make available all existing CG-CAHPS Database reporting products.