CAHPS® Home and Community Based Services Survey Database
The CAHPS Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Survey Database is a repository for survey results submitted by State Medicaid agencies and the managed care entities with which they contract. This database became operational in early 2020; it is a joint project between the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Participation is free and open to all states on a voluntary basis; results will be displayed by state and HCBS program types.
Read about submitting data from the HCBS Survey.
What is the CAHPS Home and Community Based Services Survey?
The CAHPS Home and Community Based Services Survey (HCBS CAHPS) assesses the experiences of adult Medicaid beneficiaries who receive long-term services and supports from State HCBS program. Survey results can be used to:
- Raise general awareness about the home and community based care experience
- Diagnose and assess the current status of patient experience and programs
- Identify strengths and opportunities for patient experience improvement
- Examine trends in home and community based patient experience over time
- Evaluate the impact of patient experience improvement initiatives and interventions
The CAHPS Database collects the current 1.0 version of the Home and Community Based Services Survey.
Learn more about the Home and Community Based Services Survey
Webcast Introducing the HCBS CAHPS Survey Database
AHRQ and CMS co-hosted a webcast on October 2, 2019: Introducing a New Database for Users of the CAHPS Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS CAHPS) Survey. Speakers reviewed the HCBS CAHPS Survey and described the benefits and steps involved in participating.
- Caren Ginsberg, Ph.D., Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD
- Melanie Brown, Ph.D., Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Baltimore MD
- Kerry Lida, Ph.D., Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Baltimore, MD
- Michael Corrothers, Westat, Rockville, MD
- Dale Shaller, MPA, Principal, Shaller Consulting Group, Stillwater, MN (Moderator)
Slides (PDF, 1,029 KB)
Transcript (PDF, 733 KB)
If you have any questions about this database, please contact CAHPS Database Technical Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.